Infertility treatment is a journey. As such, it can take many twists and turns — and may even continue longer than you might have expected. Because of all of these factors, it can be an emotional rollercoaster. You may have feelings of anxiety, frustration, and excitement. But other emotions can crop up, too, and put strain on you and your partner. We are here to help you.
As we recognize that the treatment journey isn’t simply physical, we’ve enlisted the support of three behavioral health specialists, Marie Davidson, Ph.D, Tiffany Edwards, Ph.D, M.P.H., and Susan Rizzato, MSW, LCSW, who are ready to assist you with whatever emotions may arise.
Dr. Marie Davidson, Dr. Tiffany Edwards, and Susan Rizzato offer a wide range of services to meet the unique needs of individuals and couples coping with fertility challenges.
Our behavioral health specialists are available for counseling or consultation. At certain points in your treatment, we may recommend the value of making an appointment with one of them. However, feel free to request an appointment on your own at any time. Simply call 877-324-4483 to schedule an appointment.
How Emotional Support Can Help
We want you to know that any and all emotions that emerge for you during fertility treatment are completely normal. No matter what you bring to us, we assure you that we’ve probably seen many other patients wrestle with them as well. Among some of the most common issues patients reach out to us for include:
- Coping with the stress of infertility problem
- Improving communication with your spouse or family and friends
- Strengthening and nurturing your emotional health
- Assisting with problem solving and decision making
- Providing referral to outside sources when needed
Fertility Support Groups
To further alleviate the stresses that can arise with treatment, our monthly support group sessions are available for our patients and the community. View our support groups and other patient education classes here.
3 results found
- Saturday Apr 20, 2019 | 10-11am | Register >
- Saturday May 25, 2019 | 10-11am | Register >
- Saturday Jun 15, 2019 | 10-11am | Register >
Fertility Centers of Illinois
Susan Rizzato MSW, LCSW leads our monthly infertility support group that offers understanding and provides an informative place to discuss experiences with others going through the same or similar issues.
- Sunday May 12, 2019 | 10-11:30am | Register >
Pulling Down the Moon
Mother's day is hard for those experiencing infertility. This patient education support workshop with Pulling Down the Moon invites healing, strength, and community. Bring your yoga mat (open for all levels) for ART-safe yoga poses.
More Than Emotional
Many of the decisions that you may face can be complex or may simply be uncharted territory to you. We can offer you additional resources and information about fertility topics and also help you make a decision — not by talking you into or out of any options, but by talking you through them.
When to Make an Appointment
You can make an appointment at any time, whether you plan to see us on a regular basis or just for one meeting. There are certain times when patients feel the need to reach out more than others. These moments include:
- When you’re at a “crossroads” about making a treatment decision
- After a failed cycle or a miscarriage
- When considering whether to use donated eggs or sperm
- When trying to decide whether to use a surrogate
- When deciding whether to end treatment
- When considering adoption